As many of you know, my house was renovated last year, ripped out to the fours walls and roof. During that time I took delivery of a second, 10 ft by 16 ft, shed.
Within hours of it being installed, it was filled with everything from the house. Once the house was finished, the bigger items of furniture were taken out, and everything for the small shed in the front was put into it so that the small shed could be moved and a new concrete base made.
The net result of all this was that I had two sheds filled with stuff in no particular order, and I didn’t have a clue where things were. I had hoped to sort them out over the summer, but that was not to be. Elly had agreed to come over and help me, and over the past weeks we kept an eye on the weather forecast, looking for two days together with very little wind and no rain. Finally we got them!
I was aiming for ‘household’ stuff in the small front shed, and fibre stuff in the back. What we started with was this in the front, small (8 x 8 ft) shed….
… and this in the back, large, shed.
One the first day we got all the yarn into the main room…
…. and then got everything out of the bags and boxes and back into the RIGHT boxes, chucking broken boxes and bags in the process.
(You will be pleased to know that all the commotion did not affect the dog’s sleep.)
We ended up with the right yarns in the right boxes.
That done, we took the organised boxes out of the house…
… and put them in the right place in the back shed.
That took all day.
The next day we did the same with fibre. Once more the main room was filled with fleece, roving, tops etc.
And once more we sorted it out into the RIGHT boxes before putting them back into the new shed in the right place in the right order.
At the same time, all sorts of bits I had ‘lost’ came to light – everything from the old toothbrushes for cleaning taps to pairs of shoes I hadn’t seen for 14 months. Household stuff, cases etc came out of the back shed into the front, and everything was put tidily away.
The results were as follows:
The back shed:
The front shed:
Just the next day I needed a particular balls of yarn. I was able to go straight out, straight to the right box, and straight to the right yarn.